Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Unit 5 Reflection

This unit was about the relation between DNA and physical traits. Some of the themes were the double helix, antiparallel shape of DNA; semi-conservative DNA replication, the process of creating two identical strands of DNA from a single one, each ending up with half of the original strand; transcription, how RNA is created in the nucleus; translation, how ribosomes read RNA to create proteins; the types of mutations: point mutations, frameshift mutations like insertion and deletion, inversion, and translocation; and how genes are regulated within an operon.



My strengths this unit were understanding semi-conservative DNA replication, transcription and translation, the different types of mutations, and the lac operon. I found these processes logical and easy to follow. My weaknesses this unit were understanding the antiparallel structure of DNA, doing transcription and translation by hand, and understanding DNA structure's influence of gene expression. I didn't understand antiparallel at first because it didn't make sense, but now I do. I struggled doing transcription and translation by hand because I am easily distracted. Originally, the topic of DNA structure and its influence on gene expression seemed very complicated, but now I realize it is pretty simple.

Image result for semiconservative dna replication

I would like to learn more about why DNA is shaped as it is, and why ribosomes can't just read DNA in the nucleus inside of the copied RNA. I am also curious about what would happen to the rest of the RNA if the ribosome was told to stop near the beginning of the RNA sequence. I would also like to learn about the probability for each mutation, and how efficient gene regulation truly is.

I am growing as a student by studying in a more effective way. I have begun creating flashcards and looking at more diagrams in order to study. This is an effective method to study for me because, according to the VARK Questionnaire, I have high visual, kinesthetic, and reading/writing scores. The flashcards are helpful because of my reading/writing score, while the diagrams are helpful due to my visual score. I have not yet found a way to incorporate my kinesthetic abilities into studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment