Monday, April 3, 2017

Unit 8 Reflection

This unit was about the causes of evolution. Specifically, we learned about variation, which exists because of sex, and how variation is crucial for evolution. We also learned about artificial selection, or breeding, and natural selection, which Darwin discovered after four observations and two conclusions. We also learned about allele frequency, how evolution is defined by a change in allele frequency, and how to calculate allele frequency in a gene pool. We also learned that speciation is caused by reproductive isolation, whether behavioral, geographic, or temporal, and that speciation can be slow (gradualism) or fast (punctuated equilibrium). We also learned about the many pieces of evidence supporting evolution, such as embryology, evo-devo, vestigial structures, fossils, homologous structures, analogous structures, and convergent evolution. Later, we learned that natural selection can cause populations to evolve through either directional, stabilizing, or disruptive selection. We also learned other types of change that can cause evolution, such as genetic drift, gene flow, mutations, and sexual selection, and we saw these changes, especially natural selection, in action in a lab called the Hunger Games Lab. Finally, we learned a bit on how life formed on Earth, and the Earth's timeline.

File:Geologic Clock with events and periods.svg

I want to learn more about the structural evidence of evolution, especially evo-devo. I understand what evo-devo is, but I am curious on how it works and what has been discovered with it so far. I also wonder how scientists can accurate calculate allele frequency by just looking at phenotypes, as it wouldn't be possible to know, by phenotype, whether an individual displaying the dominant phenotype was homozygous or heterozygous.

Image result for allele frequency

In my Unit 7 Reflection, I learned that my main conflict style is aggression, followed by assertion, passive aggression, and passivity. In order to be more assertive, I said I would try to think about the consequences of my actions more. I think I have been a little more careful with my words and actions, but I do not think I have really become more assertive. Actually, I think my conflict style may be shifting more towards passive aggressive. I will try to be less aggressive and/or passive-aggressive in the future by being kinder towards others.

No comments:

Post a Comment